Appointed on April 6, 1999, Justice Ynares-Santiago is the first female member of the Supreme Court who rose from the ranks, having begun her career as a Municipal Judge.
A product of the UP College of Law where she graduated in 1962, Justice Santiago started her career in the judiciary in 1973 when she was appointed Municipal Judge of Cainta, Rizal, a position she held for thirteen years. In November 1986, she was appointed Regional Trial Court Judge of Makati where she remained until her appointment to the Court of Appeals in 1990.
A native of Binangonan, Rizal, where she was born on October 5, 1939, Justice Santiago received from that city in 1994 the Pambayang Gawad Palosebo, the highest municipal award given to outstanding citizens of Binangonan who have excelled in their professions and are role models for the youth.
- Name : Consuelo Ynares-Santiago
- Birthday : October 5, 1939
- Birthplace : Binangonan, Rizal
- Schools Attended :
- UP College of Law (1962)
- Father : Casimiro Ynares, Sr
- Mother : Consolacion Y. Martin
- Spouse : Atty. Francisco B. Santiago
- Children :
- Atty. Pura Angelica Y. Santiago
- Dr. Jonas Francisco
- Regina Carmela
- Jennylind Allison
- Associate Justice of the Philippine Supreme Court, Incumbent (April 6, 1999)
- Municipal Judge of Cainta, Rizal (1973)
- Bribery allegations (2007)
Some notable opinions
- Gamboa v. Aguirre (1999) — on right of a provincial Vice-Governor to preside over local council meetings while concurrently Acting Governor.
- Garcia v. Corona (1999) — on constitutionality of Oil Deregulation Law
- Estrada v. Desierto (2001) – Separate Opinion — on the validity of assumption to the presidency of Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo
- People v. Lacson (2003) – Dissenting Opinion — on reinstitution of criminal cases for murder against Senator Panfilo Lacson
- People v. Genosa (2004) – Dissenting Opinion — on “battered women syndrome” as a defense in trial for spousal parricide (joined by C.J. Davide, J. Sandoval-Gutierrez and Austria-Martinez).
- Tenebro v. CA (2004) — on whether the annulment of the second marriage affects criminal liability for bigamy
- People v. Mojello (2004) — on right of an accused to an independent counsel of his own choice
- Agabon v. CA (2004) — on notice requirement for dismissals of employees for “just causes”
- In re: Habeas Corpus for Reynaldo de Villa (2004) — on propriety of writ of habeas corpus as a means to collect DNA evidence from a detained prisoner
- Ledesma v. CA (2005) – on authority of Ombudsman to dismiss local government officials
- HENRY T. GO vs. 5th Div. Sandiganbayan – on RA 3019, Sec. 3(g) applies only to public officers.
Awards and Recognitions
- Pambayang Gawad Palosebo, Binangonan, Rizal (1994)
Incoming search terms:
- conchita carpio morales most notable opinions in supremecourt
- Consuelo Ynares- Santiago
- image of chief associate consuelo ynares santiago