Joker Paz Arroyo is a Filipino lawyer, politician and Senator of the Republic of the Philippines. He has no direct relation with current Presidential spouse Jose Miguel Arroyo.
Joker was born on January 05, 1927 in Naga, Camarines Sur but Joker also lived with his brother, Nonito at Baao, Camarines Sur. His name “Joker” derives from his father’s fondness for card playing. His brother is called Jack.
He completed his elementary education at the Naga Elementary School in Naga, Camarines Sur and secondary education at the Camarines Sur High School also in Naga. He gained a scholarship at the University of the Philippines and obtained the title Bachelor of Arts, and in 1952, his Bachelor of Laws from the College of Law. He also obtained his AAPL at the Ateneo de Manila University. He started his professional career as lawyer in 1953. Most of his clients belong to the middle class and low income families.
Joker Arroyo has been married twice. His first wife is Gregg Shoes entrepreneur Odelia Gregorio. Their eldest daughter is Ma. Antonia Odelia “Maoi” Gregorio Arroyo, CEO of Hybridigm Consulting, the first biotechnology commercialization firm in the Philippines. Maoi was hailed by Entrepreneur Magazine as one of the top 35 entrepreneurs under 35 in the Philippines. His second daughter, Ma. Zef Francisca “Baba” Arroyo, is an entrepreneur, artist, and budding chef. His second wife is successful lawyer Felicitas S. Aquino, a member of the 1986 Constitutional Commission. Their daughter is Joker’s namesake and a champion equestrian, whose career highlights include a team gold medal for the Philippines at the 2005 Southeast Asian Games. The younger Joker has graduated from the British School Manila, and is now studying at Yale University. She will graduate in 2010 and is expected to return to the Philippines for law school.
He has chaired the Senate Blue Ribbon Committee, the Senate Justice and Human Rights Committee, and the Senate Public Services Committee, during the 13th congress. He claimed to have never traveled abroad on government money and his Statement of Assets and Liabilities has remained almost unchanged from the time he entered public service in 1986.
- Name : Joker Paz Arroyo
- Birthday : January 5, 1927
- Birthplace : Naga City, Camarines Sur
- Residence : Makati City
- Nationality : Filipino
- Political party : KAMPI (2007 to date)
- Other political affiliations : Independent (1992–2001; 2002–2007), Aksyon Demokratiko (2001)
- Schools Attended :
- Elementary education, Naga Elementary School, Naga, Camarines Sur
- Secondary education, Camarines Sur High School, Naga
- Bachelor of Arts, University of the Philippines (1952)
- Bachelor of Laws, University of the Philippines College of Law
- AAPL, Ateneo de Manila University
- Spouse(s) :
- Odelia Gregorio (first wife)
- Felicitas Aquino
- Children :
- Ma. Antonia Odelia “Maoi” Gregorio Arroyo
- Ma. Zef Francisca “Baba” Arroyo
- Profession : Lawyer, Politician
- Religion : Roman Catholic
- Senator of the Philippines, Incumbent (June 30, 2001)
- Representative, 1st District of Makati City (June 30, 1992 – June 30, 2001)
- Executive Secretary, (March 25, 1986 – September 14, 1987)
- Martial Law (1972)
- Aquino Presidency (1986)
- Congress (1992)